Sunday 17 December 2017

Holy Mountain

"There's so much joy in that track. My kids love it, and all my mates' kids love it." * [Noel Gallagher, October 2017]

There you have it in two sentences - how you know you've got a hit single on your hands. I've written here on numerous occasions about Noel Gallagher's approach to songwriting, and what I absolutely adore about Noel and his (seemingly never-ending) ability to pen great tunes/riffs/melodies is his brutal honesty. He gives it to you straight - where every influence (intended or subliminal) has come from and how he then pieces it all together. As a thieving magpie he will tell you where each of the stolen gold coins came from and where his secret nest is.

In the case of Holy Mountain he was pointed in the direction of an obscure bubblegum single made in the sixties. The annoyingly catchy tin whistle was lifted lock stock and barrel. So now I've got two ear worms currently living in my head; I think they've taken up squatters rights. Thanks a bunch Noel.

* And I'm sure all his kids' mates love it too.

Noel Gallagher - Holy Mountain  


The Ice Cream - Chewin' Gum Kid

3 comments:

  1. Holy Mountain is without doubt the most earwormiest of earworms currently doing the rounds. Like it or loathe it, once you've heard it, you're lumbered with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be the strap-line they use when Oasis do the inevitable and reform.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete